Sabhuku Vharazipi, whose real name is David Mubaiwa, is a prominent Zimbabwean socialite, actor, writer, and comedian who gained widespread recognition for his contributions to the entertainment industry, particularly through his famous drama comedy titled “Sabhuku Vharazipi.” His life journey is a remarkable story of perseverance and dedication that led him from a challenging rural upbringing to becoming a celebrated figure in the arts sector. Here is a brief biography of Sabhuku Vharazipi.
Real Name: David Mubaiwa
Sabhuku Vharazipi Age & Date of Birth
Date of Birth: October 2, 1973
Age: 50 (as of 2023)
Sabhuku Vharazipi’s educational background played a significant role in shaping his career and artistic journey.
- He completed his primary education at Nerupiri Primary School in Masvingo.
- For his secondary education, he attended Masvingo Christian Secondary School, successfully completing it in 1991. However, his initial career choice of pursuing theater faced opposition from his parents, who preferred he seek traditional employment.
Early Life and Challenges
Sabhuku Vharazipi’s life story is one of determination and resilience. He faced numerous challenges while pursuing his passion for acting, but his unwavering dedication propelled him forward.
- Born in the Nerupiri area of Gutu district in Masvingo Province, Zimbabwe.
- Despite facing opposition from his parents, who wanted him to seek employment instead of pursuing a career in theatre, he chose to follow his passion for acting.
Sabhuku Vharazipi’s journey in the entertainment industry is a testament to his commitment and perseverance.
- He embarked on his artistic journey by briefly staying with his artistic director, David Dzatsunga.
- In 1992, he became one of the founding members of Ziya Theatre production, which later evolved into Ziya Cultural Trust.
- The group began performing in schools and public places, and their first recorded act, “Voice,” was a massive success in Masvingo.
- Despite facing challenges, including incidents like a fellow actor being injured during a live performance, Sabhuku Vharazipi and his colleagues continued to thrive.
Breakthrough with “Sabhuku Vharazipi”
Sabhuku Vharazipi’s breakthrough came with the production of “Sabhuku Vharazipi.” The character became iconic, known for its hilarious portrayal of a corrupt and amorous headman.
This production catapulted him into celebrity status and earned him a dedicated following.
Beyond Entertainment: Farming and Family
Away from theatrical productions, Sabhuku Vharazipi has established himself as a successful farmer, raising livestock and enjoying a fruitful harvest.
He is a devoted family man, married to Matimbire Servy, and they are blessed with four children, including Patrick, Tapuwanashe, Tatenda, and Ruvarashe.
Activism and Recognition
Sabhuku Vharazipi is not just an entertainer; he is also involved in human rights activism.
In 2014, he was nominated for a high-profile Human Rights Award, showcasing his commitment to social causes.
Recognition and Financial Support from Wicknell Chivayo
In October 2023, Sabhuku Vharazipi, whose real name is David Mubaiwa, garnered significant attention for receiving a generous financial gift of US$10,000 from Zimbabwean businessman Wicknell Chivayo. This unexpected gesture of support came after Sabhuku Vharazipi and his colleagues, Chairman and Mbuya Mai John, were featured in a skit that highlighted their appreciation for the contributions of the Second Republic of Zimbabwe under President Emmerson Mnangagwa.
Acknowledging Wicknell Chivayo’s Contributions
The skit, in which the trio acknowledged Wicknell Chivayo’s name, specifically recognized his donation of a brand new car to Chief Hwenje, a well-known praise singer associated with ZANU PF. This skit caught Wicknell Chivayo’s attention, and he was thrilled to be mentioned alongside President Mnangagwa in the context of their contributions to the arts and entertainment sector.
Fulfilling the Promise
Wicknell Chivayo had previously shared his intention to honour Sabhuku Vharazipi and his two cast members. True to his word, he presented each member of the trio with a substantial financial gift of US$10,000. Additionally, they received an extra US$2,000 for refuelling.
DJ Masomere’s Confirmation
DJ Masomere, who accompanied Sabhuku Vharazipi and his colleagues during this remarkable occasion, confirmed and shared the news on social media, expressing their gratitude. He revealed that the trio received US$10,000 each as part of Wicknell Chivayo’s generous gift.
Impact on Chief Hwenje and DJ Masomere
Chief Hwenje, who was also recognized for his contributions to ZANU PF through his song “Mai Welly,” received US$50,000 from Wicknell Chivayo, enabling him to purchase a house. DJ Masomere received US$60,000, allowing him to invest in a new home. Both Chief Hwenje and DJ Masomere expressed their appreciation for the opportunities created by President ED Mnangagwa’s administration.
Chivayo’s Philanthropic Efforts
This act of generosity from Wicknell Chivayo towards Sabhuku Vharazipi and his fellow artists is part of a broader pattern of philanthropic endeavours by the businessman. He has been known for supporting various individuals and causes in Zimbabwe, including donating to churches, artists, and community initiatives. His commitment to giving back to the community has positively impacted many individuals’ lives.